ÄKÄSLOMPOLO TRAVEL DIRECTIONS
The easiest and the quickest way to travel to Finland is to use one of the scheduled airlines that fly to Helsinki and have convenient connections onwards to smaller airports throughout Finland and Finnish Lapland. The flight time to Finland from the UK and mainland Europe is about 2½ hours, while connections from Helsinki onwards to Lapland take about 90 minutes.
· The closest airports to the cabin are Kittila in Finland (approx 45km) and Pajala in Sweden (approx 70km).
· Alternative airports include: Rovaniemi in Finland (approx 180km), Lulea in Sweden (approx 280km) and Tromso in Norway (approx 410km).
· The closest train station is Kolari, Finland (approx 40km).
DIRECT TO KITTILA
· During the high season (winter) charter flights to Kittilä are available from London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Birmingham, Manchester and Bristol at www.ski-flights.com. The flights usually start from around £199pp (return). Winter season rates and availability will be published around June/July. Further flights are available via Charter Flights or Inghams
TO & FROM KITTILA
· You can continue your journey from Kittila to Akaslompolo by car or during the ski season (December - April) you can then catch the Airport bus to Äkäslompolo (approx 40km). At other times a taxi can be pre-booked. The journey is approx 45 mins (45km).
TO & FROM KOLARI
· Or you can catch the overnight sleeper train to Kolari from Helsinki (~12hrs) or Tampere (~10.5hrs). For more information visit VR
· You can continue your journey from Kolari to Akaslompolo by car, taxi or ski bus (during the high season). The journey is approx 40 minutes (41km).
TO & FROM ROVANIEMI
· Or you can catch the overnight sleeper train to Rovaniemi from Helsinki (~10hrs) or Tampere (~8.5hrs). For more information visit VR
· You can continue your journey from Rovaniemi to Akaslompolo by car. It is a 180km trip taking approximately 3 hours.
TO & FROM TROMSO
· You can fly to Tromso airport direct from London Stansted via Norwegian Air Shuttle.
· You can continue your journey from Tromso to Akaslompolo by car. It is a 410km trip taking approximately 5 hours 30 mins. Most of the journey follows the Northern Lights Route.
TO & FROM LULEA
· You can continue your journey from Lulea to Akaslompolo by car. It is a 280km trip taking approximately 4 hours.
TO & FROM PAJALA
· Currently you can fly to Pajala airport from Lulea via Barents Air.
· You can continue your journey from Pajala to Akaslompolo by car. It is a 69km trip taking approximately 1 hour.
TO & FROM TAMPERE
· You can fly to Tampere airport from London Stansted via Ryanair.
· From Tampere you can take the sleeper train to Kolari or Rovaniemi. For more information visit VR.
· Alternatively you can catch the bus to Helskinki and then an onwards flight to Kittila or Rovaniemi.
TO & FROM HELSINKI
· Alternatively you can fly to Helsinki from a number of UK airports; Birmingham, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh via a number of airlines. For more information visit: www.finnair.com , www.flysas.com , www.britishairways.com , www.klm.com , www.easyjet.co.uk
· From Helsinki you can get a connecting flight to Akaslompolo. For more info visit: www.finnair.com
· Alternatively you can catch the sleeper train to to Kolari or Rovaniemi as above.